Friday, April 29, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Executive Director, Erik Sternad

 

Interface Children & Family Services' Executive Director, Erik Sternad, took time out of his busy schedule for a quick Q&A!

Q.  Where were you born?
A.   Out in the High Desert in California.  My Dad came from Austria with the proverbial $125 in his pocket and a fresh Chemical Engineering degree to start a family in the states. We lived in a little mining outpost called, "Trona" right across from the huge Potash factory where my Dad landed his first job.

Q.  Will you briefly describe your educational background?
A.   B.S. in Psychology from UC Berkeley; M.S. in Marriage, Family Counseling from San Francisco State University

Q.  And, your work experience?
A.  I developed my own private practice in the Bay Area, treating children, couples and families.  I was particularly drawn to family therapy work and the power that families have for trouble but more importantly for good for every member. I also worked for several major hospitals in their inpatient and outpatient psychiatric units and came to appreciate the power of the multi-disciplinary team!  Many perspectives deepen one’s understanding of the client’s needs. After working for, then leading a non-profit treating kids and families with the most severe issues, I welcomed coming to Interface where we actually prevent problems for many kids and families even before they start!

Q.  How did you become involved with Interface?
A.  My best friend of 30 years lives in Simi Valley and was always trying to get me to move my family to Simi.  I almost missed the opening that Interface had for an Executive Director as I was caring for a family member after a major surgery!  The mission: “strengthening children, families and communities to be safe, healthy and thriving” was a perfect fit for me – what I had dedicated my career to.

Q.  How long have you worked with Interface?
A.  4 years.

Q.  What made you choose to do the type of work you are doing?   
A.   My Mom was a Social Worker and my Dad a Project Leader for large engineering projects, so leading a social service is pretty much like continuing in the family business…
I have always been drawn to helping kids.  I have 5 kids and 5 grandkids...there have always been kids at our house (playing, visiting, and temporarily living there), so I guess it’s pretty much always been about helping kids.  Early in my career, I was trained to understand that healthy families are necessary for healthy kids.  Interface reflects this in our multiple approaches towards strengthening families.

Q.  Since you’ve been involved with Interface, what story have you heard that sticks out in your mind?  The one you use to tell people about Interface?
A.  Susan is a 30-year old woman with one young child.  At 10 years old, Susan was abandoned by her mother and left with an male acquaintance.  This man sexually abused her and addicted her to drugs.  In order to pay for his drug habit, he prostituted this young child.  At the age of twelve, he abandoned her.  Addicted to drugs, she continued to live in the streets.  She has a long history of criminal offenses including drug use, prostitution, and burglary. Susan lived in the river bottom and continued to use, she was pregnant and covered with infected mosquito bites.  When she entered the hospital to deliver, she had not received any prenatal care and her infant was delivered drug addicted to meth.  The child was removed from Susan and placed in protective custody.  In order to regain her child, she would have to enter a drug rehab and prove herself a sober and responsible parent.  And so begins her journey towards sobriety.  During her stay at the rehab center, Susan began attending the Domestic Violence Community Support groups and finally started sharing her life of abuse: sexual, physical, emotional and abandonment.  She was never angry although she had every right to be; she was resolute. When her stay at the rehab ended, there were no shelters for her and her child.  At this point, the child was reunited with mother under certain terms. One was that she needed a stable environment to live in.  I received a call from her worker (CFS) who was advocating for shelter.  We were full at the emergency shelter but made some hasty changes to the living arrangement and placed her and her child.  Susan continued her sobriety and her sober living program while in shelter.  At the end of her 30 days, we had an available transitional home and placed her in our program with the condition that her drug and alcohol case manager would continue to assist. She did.  Susan has one year of sobriety, she is attending parenting classes, and she has bonded with her child.  She is continuing her therapy sessions, however, we don’t know yet if she will continue her path towards a clean, sober and violence free life.  Susan has had a horrific life but she is a strong woman and she has a beautiful child that she loves and loves her in return. She is in a safe environment and has many people cheering her on.  If it were not for our shelters, Susan would have become homeless and it is difficult to say where she and her child could be today.  

Q.  What makes you come to work everyday?
A.  I’m just always amazed at the steady stream of families that, despite the odds against them, continue to reach out for support and help for their children. Families have dreams for themselves and their kids, and despite their misfortune or suffering at the hands others, they keep striving for something better. When Interface is there to respond to those tremendous and overwhelming needs, we are at our best.

Q.  Are you involved in any other non-profit organizations and/or volunteer positions?
A.   The Christadelphian Church in Simi Valley, teaching Sunday School and my wife and I have been youth counselors for several years.  I also provide consultation for church members on a variety of mental health issues and concerns for their children and their families. I’m working with an international team on a resource website for Christadelphians worldwide.

Q.  What activities/hobbies do you enjoy?
A.   Golf, tennis, cycling, home remodeling and listening/occasionally playing jazz

Q.  Is there anything else you would like for us to know about? 
A.  I believe I could be a stand-up comedian, but my kids don’t think I’m funny at all…

Thanks for your time, Erik!  Until next time, in the words of Thomas Jefferson, "The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family." 

No comments:

Post a Comment